Jenny recommends 20 classics, in each of four age groups, to get you started. Each month, her complimentary email newsletter recommends a brand new book in each age group so you can continue to expand your selections.
With more than 9,000 children's books published each year, it's hard to judge the best. Twenty by Jenny will recommend the top picks for you.
Congratulations to the 2013 Irma Black Award and Cook Prize winners, announced on April 23 by the Bank Street Center for Children's Literature!
Winner of the 2013 Irma S. and James H. Black Award, for excellence in children's literature:
Big Mean Mike by Michelle Knudsen, illustrated by Scott Magoon
Winner of the 2013 Cook Prize, for the best STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) picture book:
How Many Jelly Beans by Andrea Menotti, illustrated by Yancey Labat.
For the complete list of winner and honor books in all categories, click here. For the article in School Library Journal, click here.
Have you seen our author interviews?
2) Katherine Paterson and her longtime editor, Virginia Buckley, discuss Bridge to Terabithia.
3) Katherine Paterson and Virginia Buckley discuss The Day of the Pelican.
4) Kate DiCamillo takes us inside her writing process.
5) Kate DiCamillo discusses The Magician's Elephant.
6) Sharon Creech and her editor, Joanna Cotler, discuss her process on Love that Dog.
7) Sharon Creech and Joanna Cotler discuss The Unfinished Angel.